Sometimes classic books are the best, especially regarding children's books. Harper Collins Treasury of Picture Book Classics: A Child's First Collection, is a wonderful collection of children's stories. There are 12 books that come in this collection:
1. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown;
2. Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina;
3. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson;
4. Crictor by Tomi Ungerer;
5. A Baby Sister for Frances by Russell Hoban;
6. Leo the Late Bloomer by Robert Kraus;
7. William's Doll by Charlotte Zolotow;
8. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff;
9. George Shrinks by William Joyce;
10. Baby Says by John Steptoe;
11. From Head to Toe by Eric Carle; and
12. Pete's a Pizza by William Steig.
I own the individual copy of three of these books and am happy to have them also in this collection. My 2 year old loves the stories in this book and I think he will continue to like them as he gets a little older.
Another nice thing about this book is after each story there is a page with background information about the author and story. Included is also some tips on how to enjoy the story more including questions you can ask your child.
I really like this book and if you are limited on space in your home or on a tight budget but looking to own some good classic children's books, then consider buying this one.
The only downside is this book is heavy so it may be a little too heavy for a young child to hold on their own. However, these stories are meant to be read-aloud so most likely the adult would be holding most of the weight of the book.